If like me you are fond of Japanese cuisine, you will certainly enjoy this chirashi recipe. The chirashi is a dish based on cold sushi rice served with a side of raw fish, shrimps, veggies, omlet, sesame… According to your taste. All the traditional ingredients of sushis, makis and rolls are gathered, but the chirashi is was easier and faster to make. Most of the time, it is served in a bowl of vinegary rice, with the other ingredients on top. But I wanted to serve it on a more creative way, in the shape of a dome. Enjoy! In Japanese: “Itadakimasu”!
Scroll down for the recipe!
Ingredients – For 2 people
– 100 g of sushi salmon (ask for it at the fish shop at the market) or pink shrimps
– 1/2 cucumber
– 1 avocado
– 1 branch of green onion
– Sesame seeds
– 200 g sushi rice
-100 ml rice vinegar
– 2 large spoons of sugar
– 2 hints of salt
– Soja sauce
Preparation – 20 min + 30 min to let the rice cool down
– Thoroughly rince the rice until the water is clear
– In a pot, pour the rice and cover it with 2-3 inches of water. Cover the pot and cook slowly until the water has disappeared
– Spread the rice in a large dish to let it cool down. It should be sticky but firm
– In a pot, heat the rice vinegar and add the sugar and the salt until they are dissolved
– Pour the vinegar on the rice and mix it with a spoon to soak it in
– Cut the other ingredients (salmon, shrimps, cucumber, avocado…) in little cubes
– Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, and compress them with a spoon
– Demold on a plate and decorate with radish, green onion, sesame seeds…
– Add a little bit of soja sauce, and eat fresh!